Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Events & Presentations
Success in Negotiating High Diversion Programs
February 2, 2016
Joint Summit, Recycle Florida Today and SWANA Florida Sunrise Chapter, Orlando, FL Speakers: Rob Hilton, Vice President; Lauren Barbieri, Project Manager
Are you a local agency staff member planning new or modified zero waste programs for a pending waste services procurement or contract extension? Are you interested in making mid-contract program additions or other changes to enhance diversion? Incorporating effective high diversion programs into your existing waste management system can be more complex than many imagine. However, this presentation equips you with the tools to start the process in your own community, as well as offer suggestions for getting the best business deal for your new programs. This presentation helps you plan and execute a process to achieve the best results, drawing on the recent experiences of influential California cities such as San Jose, and Palo Alto (as well as many other jurisdictions), and a franchise training workshop HF&H designed for California’s Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) staff. This presentation is useful for agencies using or considering franchise systems, as well as those using other system frameworks.
The presentation addresses questions such as:
- What makes a zero waste or high diversion RFP different from other RFPs?
- What is the “death spiral” and how can I structure rates to avoid it?
- When in the process should I plan for stakeholder input?
- Why should I use an RFP in a sole source negotiation?
- How should I shape the RFP to get the programs I want now, as well as those I may want later?
- How can I best manage, and minimize financial and rate risk in a way that’s fair both to my jurisdiction and to the service provider?
- How can I best plan for program changes during the contract?
- How can I best create partnerships with service providers?