Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
HF&H is always looking for the right people to grow our team!
We hire people that can help us continue to fulfill our goal of being the first choice and recognized leader among municipal agencies for high-quality consulting services in areas of recycling, solid waste, water, and wastewater. Much of the value HF&H provides our clients comes from our team-based approach to consulting. Given this, we hire people that can work independently, but also as part of in-house teams and with our clients. In addition, we look for individuals with strong analytic skills, excellent written and oral communications skills, and an interest in assisting clients with achievement of their goals for recycling, solid waste, water, and wastewater services.
We invite applications for the position of: Assistant Analyst
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, tightly knit, small company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling and solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. Our services include planning, performance reviews, competitive procurements, negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners and project managers, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
The Assistant Analyst will support our recycling and solid waste practice from our Irvine, California office. From time to time, this position may provide support to our water/wastewater practice. Specifically, this position will focus on our “rate setting” (e.g. analysis of 3rd party rate adjustment requests, developing sustainable rate structures, etc.), and “audit/review services” (e.g. franchise and other agency fee and tonnage audits, etc.) practice areas. At any given time, this position will be involved with between one and five active projects, frequently reporting to multiple project managers.
Initially, the “clients” served by this position will be HF&H’s partners and project managers. The work with these internal clients allows Assistants to develop the client service and project management skills necessary to be a successful consultant. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a senior consultant with direct external client relationships and increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
The successful Assistant Analyst will perform tasks like:
- Reviewing 3rd party rate adjustment applications for mathematical accuracy and compliance with the compensation methodology prescribed in the franchise agreements;
- Preparing variance analyses identifying areas requiring further investigation;
- Conducting specific analysis of areas of concern under the direction of the project manager;
- Reviewing 3rd party financial/operations records to support agency fee calculations;
- Summarizing the results of the tasks performed in a clear succinct manner (spreadsheets, tables, narrative, etc.);
- Performing financial evaluation of proposals to local governments for recycling and solid waste services;
- Performing quality control reviews on reports and written work products;
- Assisting with the preparation of proposals;
- Researching emerging rate setting and/or rate structures;
- Preparing AB 939 reports;
- Surveying local governments and service providers about industry trends; and,
- Assisting in the preparation of written reports and client presentations.
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous assignments with competing schedules
- Build a solid foundation of best practice skills for the Assistant to thrive in their consulting career
What You Bring
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Accounting, Environmental Economics, Economics, or Related Field
- 1-2 Years of experience in a professional office environment
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, especially related to the development of spreadsheet models (e.g. rate models, report tables, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Inquisitiveness balanced with a sense of significance
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing schedules
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis (e.g. accounting, statistics, finance, etc.)
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite; Excel skills beyond data entry
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Certification (e.g. CPA, CMA, etc.)
- Master’s Degree in a Related Field or MBA
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California
- Prior work experience with utility rate modeling
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H using the link below today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate. Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process at its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be released at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.Apply Now
HF&H is always looking for talented people with five or more years of professional experience providing recycling, solid waste, water, and wastewater services. If you’ve worked as a consultant, with public agencies, or with private companies, we’d like to talk with you about your experience and potential career opportunities with HF&H.
- Minimum B.A. or B.S. degree in related field of study
- Five or more years of relevant experience
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
Please include a cover letter and resume when applying.Apply Now
We offer an attractive compensation package, including bonuses, 401(k) plan, profit sharing, and health insurance. In addition, we support career development and have opportunities for career advancement. If you are interested in being part of our team, please submit your resume to email@example.com.