Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
City of Sunnyvale
SMaRT Station Operator Procurements (2000, 2007, 2014)
On behalf of the City of Sunnyvale, and its two partner cities, Mountain View, and Palo Alto, Sunnyvale manages an operating agreement for the publicly-owned transfer station and materials recovery facility (the SMaRT Station). HF&H assisted Sunnyvale with the procurement of the facility operator in 2000, 2007 and 2014.
The 2014 project resulted in:
- Increase in compensation of about 0.7% with added processing services and an increase in diversion of about 4,000 tons per year.
- Flexibility for member agency organic program additions and modifications, and for innovative pilots such as every-other-week collection of solid waste.
- A range of technical options for composting or other processing for organic materials transferred through the SMaRT Station, at several facilities and at defined prices.
Earlier projects resulted in:
- An estimated rate increase of only 2.7%, despite the required increases in wages and benefits.
- The guaranteed minimum diversion level increased from 14.5% to 17.5%.
- Pre-determined modifications to contractor compensation during anticipated construction and for member agency implementation of food waste collection and processing programs.
- A $3.3 million annual savings (2000).