Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Senior Associate / Consultant [Division Controller]
October 20, 2023
We invite applications for the position of: Senior Associate
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, small-company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling, organics, solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include jurisdictional action planning, performance reviews of municipal service providers (e.g., solid waste haulers), competitive solid waste service procurements (often the largest municipal contracts), negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners, project managers and senior associates, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
The Senior Associate will support our recycling, organics, and solid waste practice from our Walnut Creek, California office (some remote work flexibility is available). Some local travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
Specifically, this position will focus on our “rate setting” (e.g. analysis of 3rd party rate adjustment requests, developing sustainable rate structures, etc.), and “audit/review services” (e.g. franchise and other agency fee and tonnage audits, etc.) practice areas. At any given time, this position will be involved with between one and five active projects, frequently reporting to multiple project managers.
Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a Project Manager (senior consultant) with direct external client relationships and increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
The successful Senior Associate will perform tasks like:
- Work with client and 3rdpersonnel to obtain financial and operational data
- Review 3rd party rate adjustment applications for mathematical accuracy and compliance with the compensation methodology prescribed in the franchise agreements, including the review of financial and operational records to support the application
- Review 3rd party financial/operations records to support agency fee calculations
- Supervise and perform and analyses (candidate must possess strong analytical and Excel skills)
- Perform financial evaluation of proposals to local governments for solid waste – related services
- Summarize the results of the tasks performed in a clear succinct manner (spreadsheets, tables, narrative, etc.)
- Research and develop emerging rate setting and/or rate structures
- Perform quality control reviews on reports and written work products
- Assist in the preparation of written reports, client presentations, and proposals
- Assist in planning and monitoring multiple concurrent engagements, to include staffing, performance, billing, and maintaining/developing client relationships
- Participate in and/or present at professional and industry events and seminars
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Support and guidance for developing your career path within the firm (i.e., upward or lateral)
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Continue building best practice skills to thrive in their consulting career
What You Bring
- 5+ Years of prior experience in the recycling, organics, and solid waste industry (accounting or finance functions)
- Comparable experience as a Division Controller, Assistant Controller, or Finance Manager for a solid waste collection company
- Understanding of industry financial practices, to include municipal bids, pricing and profitability analysis, etc.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis (e.g. accounting, statistics, finance, etc.)
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Accounting, Environmental Economics, Economics, or Related Field is suggested; practical experience in controllership/accounting or financial analysis may be substituted for education, on a case-by case basis.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, especially related to the development of spreadsheet models (e.g. rate models, report tables, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Inquisitiveness balanced with a sense of significance
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing schedules
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Prior experience in the California markets for recycling, organics, and the solid waste industry
- 5+ Years of prior experience in consulting or professional services
- Active California CPA license
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2022, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Salary range for Senior Associate: $95,000 – $135,000
- Annual Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Salary, discretionary and performance based.
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2020 contribution was 5%.
- Fifteen (15) Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year).
- Ten (10) Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion).
- Five (5) Sick days per year.
- At least two days of off-site staff retreats and social events each year.
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our Kaiser health insurance plan.
- HF&H contributes $2,500 per employee or $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account.
- Dental/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter, along with your salary expectation. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate. Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process at its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be terminated at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.