Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Consultant: Solid Waste and Recycling [Sr. Associate]
November 16, 2023
We are looking for a candidate with 5+ years of experience as a Municipal Management Analyst, Municipal Administrative Analyst, Contracts Specialist, or Waste and Recycling Manager, who is interested in having a broader impact by moving to a consultant position. The consultant-equivalent title, ‘Senior Associate’ is used below.
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, small-company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling, organics, solid waste, water, wastewater, and stormwater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include jurisdictional action planning, performance reviews of municipal service providers (e.g., solid waste haulers), competitive solid waste service procurements (often the largest municipal contracts), negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners and project managers, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
The position will be based out of our Walnut Creek office. Ideally, this position will have a minimum of two days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) in our Walnut Creek office but we may consider a fully remote situation for this position. This may be modified at any time at HF&H’s discretion. Some travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
Specifically, this position will focus on our “contract services” (e.g., contract negotiation, competitive procurement, contract management, etc.) and “diversion services” (e.g., zero waste/high diversion planning, program development, regulatory compliance, etc.) practice areas. At any given time, this position will be involved with between five to ten active projects, frequently reporting to clients and Partners.
Employee will initially work with our internal Project Managers and Analysts and may also have some client-facing responsibilities. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional with increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
The successful Senior Associate will perform tasks like:
- Drafting and quality assurance of Request for Proposals and Franchise Agreements for Recycling, Organics, and Solid Waste Services; compiling and presenting service information of same to clients
- Performing both technical (contract) and quantitative evaluation of proposals submitted to local governments for recycling, organics, and solid waste services; preparation of materials and presentation of this information to local governments, Council meetings, and/or public hearings, as assigned
- Reviewing documents and identifying/summarizing key information
- Working with client and third party personnel to obtain financial and operational data
- Supervision and performance of variance reviews and analyses (candidate must possess strong analytical and intermediate Excel skills)
- Managing and/or conducting research and analysis on legislation and regulations impacting the recycling, organics, and solid waste industry in California
- Creating, performing quality control of, and presenting written reports and exhibits for findings and recommendations
- Participate in and/or present at professional and industry events and seminars
- Coach and mentor Associates and Assistant Analysts
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Independence and autonomy to create and design solutions for municipalities and special districts
- Support and guidance for developing your career path within the firm (i.e., upward or lateral)
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Continue building best practice skills to thrive in their consulting career
Any combination of education and experience that is equivalent to the following minimum qualifications are acceptable.
- Undergraduate Degree (preferred: Pre-Law, Public Policy, Environmental Policy, or Related Field)
- 3-5 Years of prior experience in the recycling, organics, and solid waste industry in California
- 3-5 Years of prior work experience drafting legal documents (contracts, ordinances, regulations, etc.)
- 5+ Years of prior work experience in a professional office environment
What You Bring
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, especially related to legal documents (Contracts, Ordinances, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Inquisitiveness balanced with a sense of significance
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing schedules
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Reliable personal transportation
- Prior experience in consulting or professional services
- J.D., Master’s Degree in a Related Field, or MBA
- Some demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis (e.g., accounting, statistics, data science, computer science, etc.)
- Professional California licensing (e.g., Bar membership, CPA license, or PE license)
What We Offer
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2022, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Salary range for Sr. Associate is $95,000 – $120,000
- Discretionary Performance-Based Incentive Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Salary
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2022 contribution was 6%
- 15 Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year)
- 10 Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion)
- 5 Sick days per year
- At least two days of off-site staff retreats and social events each year
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our health insurance plan
- HF&H contributes $2,500 per employee or $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account
- Dental/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H at email@example.com today! Submissions without a cover letter may not be considered. Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter with your salary expectation. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. We place significant value on hiring the right people to work in our team and our interview process reflects that. The first phase of the interview process is a telephone interview. If successful, candidates will be scheduled for a half-day of interviews with our consulting team and the other half of the day will be spent performing assessments of the candidate’s quantitative and written communication skills. Candidates that successfully complete those interviews and assessments will be brought in for a final round of interviews with one or more of the firm’s Partners. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process in its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, may be terminated at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.