Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Assistant Analyst [Financial Analyst (Entry-Level)]
March 10, 2022
We invite applications for the position of: Assistant Analyst
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, small-company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling, organics, solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include jurisdictional action planning, performance reviews of municipal service providers (e.g., solid waste haulers), competitive solid waste service procurements (often the largest municipal contracts), negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners and project managers, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
This position will be based out of either our Walnut Creek or Irvine office, with some remote work flexibility. Employee will primarily work with our internal Project Managers and Analysts. At present time, we have discouraged travel to client sites, however, as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, some local travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
Initially, the “clients” served by this position will be HF&H’s partners and project managers. The work with these internal clients allows staff to develop the client service and project management skills necessary to be a successful consultant. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a senior consultant with direct external client relationships and increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do
The successful Assistant Analyst will perform tasks like:
- Reviewing 3rd party financial information reported by waste management and recycling companies;
- Preparing variance analyses identifying areas requiring further investigation;
- Conducting specific analysis of areas of concern under the direction of the project manager;
- Reviewing 3rd party financial/operations records to support agency fee calculations;
- Summarizing the results of the tasks performed in a clear succinct manner (spreadsheets, tables, narrative, etc.);
- Performing financial evaluation of proposals to local governments for recycling and solid waste services;
- Performing quality control reviews on reports and written work products;
- Preparing AB 939 reports;
- Surveying local governments and service providers about industry trends; and,
- Assisting in the preparation of proposals, written reports, and client presentations.
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous assignments with competing schedules
- Build a solid foundation of best practice skills for the Assistant Analyst to thrive in their consulting career
What You Bring
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Accounting, Environmental Economics, Economics, Environmental Science, or Related Field
- 1+ Years of experience in a professional office environment
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, especially related to the development of spreadsheet models (e.g. rate models, report tables, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Inquisitiveness balanced with a sense of significance
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing schedules
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite; Intermediate to Advanced Excel skills
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California
What We Offer
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2021, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Annual Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Salary, performance based.
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2020 contribution was 5%.
- Fifteen (15) Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year).
- Ten (10) Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion).
- Five (5) Sick days per year.
- At least two days of off-site staff retreats and social events each year.
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our Kaiser health insurance plan.
- HF&H contributes $2,500 per employee or $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account.
- Dental/Vision/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate. Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process at its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be terminated at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.