Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Senior Business Intelligence Developer
October 26, 2023
We invite applications for the position of: Senior Associate (Senior Business Intelligence Developer)
About This Role
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, tightly knit, small company culture that provides innovative management consulting and professional services exclusively to public agencies. We are currently working to revolutionize our internal data ecosystem, automate workflows, and improve digital delivery of our services. Our core business focuses on data-driven solutions, and we are excited to modernize from excel-based analysis to more robust data and analytics systems that will allow us to create further insights in an efficient manner. We are currently seeking a driven and experienced developer with proven experience deploying business intelligence solutions across multiple use cases or businesses. This role provides significant opportunities for autonomous work, with a short-term goal of building out a small team to maximize impact for our organization and clients.
This is a new role. We would love to hear your thoughts on how your skillset and goals align with our vision of long-term tenure and growth at HF&H Consultants. We would welcome your opening this dialogue in your cover letter.
The successful candidate will work under the direction of an executive or advisory committee, in a collaborative atmosphere, successfully deploying a wide spectrum of business intelligence solutions.
The Senior Associate will support our recycling and solid waste practice from our Walnut Creek, California office. We prefer that this position have at least two days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) in our Walnut Creek office, but we may reconsider this, dependent on the successful candidate’s level of experience. This may be modified at any time at HF&H’s discretion. Employee will primarily work with our internal Project Managers and Analysts. Local travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
Initially, the “clients” served by this position will be HF&H’s partners and project managers. The work with these internal clients allows Senior Associate to develop the client service and project management skills necessary to be a successful consultant. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a senior consultant or manager with increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do:
The successful Senior Associate will perform tasks like:
- Design, deploy, and maintain a data warehouse, BI tools, infrastructure, and integration with internal and external data sources.
- Analyze existing reports and optimize them for standardization across the company.
- Implement and/or design BI reports to serve internal and external clients.
- Develop data schema and data flow optimization for reporting performance and enhancement as needed.
- Collect and maintain municipal and industry reporting requirements.
- Conduct specific analysis of areas of concern under the direction of partners or project managers.
- Summarize data in a clear succinct manner (dashboards, spreadsheets, tables, charts, graphs, etc.).
- Perform quality control reviews on reports and written work products.
- Collect and analyze data to create and maintain reports and dashboards using Power BI.
- Continuously improve reporting processes and tools, including identifying opportunities for automation.
- Ensure data accuracy and integrity by validating and reconciling data sources.
- Assist in the preparation of proposals, meeting documents, written reports, and client presentations.
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day.
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants.
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise.
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services.
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources.
- Build a solid foundation of best practice skills for the Senior Associate to thrive in their career.
What You Bring
- Adept at the deployment and utilization of self-service business intelligence reporting tools such as Tableau, Board, Power BI, Fabric, Azure.
- Deep understanding of data modeling and data schemas (normalized, flat, star, snowflake, etc.).
- Understanding database operations and optimization for any commonly used database (e.g., Microsoft SQL Server, OracleDB, PostgreSQL, NoSQL, etc.).
- Understanding data and query optimization, query profiling, and query performance monitoring tools and techniques.
- Proficiency in Data Analysis Expressions (DAX)
- Creating and maintaining relevant technical documentation.
- Undergraduate Degree in Business, Accounting, Economics, Finance, Data Analytics, Statistics, or a related field.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in MS Excel.
- 5+ Years of experience in a professional office environment.
- 5+ Years of demonstrated practical experience with business intelligence software.
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely.
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency.
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis (e.g. accounting, statistics, data science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), etc.).
- Proficiency with the use of MS Excel, Outlook, Power BI, and PowerPoint.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California.
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, tightly knit, small company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling and solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include planning, performance reviews, competitive procurements, negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
Please refer to our website www.hfh-consultants.com for a further description of our firm.
What We Offer
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2022, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Salary Range for Senior Associate: $95,000 – $120,000.
- Discretionary Annual Bonus: up to 20% of annual wages earned, performance based.
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2022 contribution was 5%.
- 15 Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year).
- 10 Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion).
- 5 Sick days per year.
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our Kaiser health insurance plan.
- HF&H contributes up to $2,500 per employee or up to $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account.
- Dental/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance.
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H at firstname.lastname@example.org today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be released at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.