Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Accounting Compliance Auditor [Associate Analyst or Sr. Associate]
November 13, 2023
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, tightly knit, small company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling and solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. Our services include planning, performance reviews, competitive procurements, negotiations, contract management, compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
This full-time employee will join HF&H’s team providing a wide range of advisory services to public agencies by helping people (like you and me) by applying their analytical skills and working with clients and teams; initial project types include conducting contract compliance audits of waste and recycling companies and communicating results to public agency management. This position will also provide financial analyses in support of the other management consulting activities of the team.
The employee will work from our office in Walnut Creek, California with a minimum of two days (Tuesdays and Thursdays) in-office. This may be modified at any time at HF&H’s discretion. There may be occasional evening meetings and overnight travel (typically within California). The position may require infrequent visits to client or third-party locations, as needed (typically zero to three days per month).
Depending on the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate, they will join as either an “Associate” or “Senior Associate” consultant. There are significant career opportunities for supervisory and management roles within the firm.
What You Will Do:
Reporting to a project manager, this position will provide oversight of sections of public agencies’ recycling and waste management agreements which may include, but are not necessarily limited to:
- Auditing: Reviewing and auditing recycling and waste industry contractor reports and contract compliance:
- Monitoring performance of contract requirements.
- Meeting with public agencies and their contractor(s).
- Reviewing and analyzing fee and tonnage reports submitted by the contractors.
- Auditing reported data.
- Reviewing customer rate adjustment requests submitted to public agencies.
- Financial Analysis: Preparing cost of service and projections of financial results of operations:
- Obtaining and reviewing historical financial information.
- Preparing Excel Workbooks with which to organize and analyze data.
- Preparing calculations of changes to revenues and costs over time.
- Preparing tabular and graphic summaries of data.
- Communication: Preparing reports of findings and presenting results to clients.
- Project Administration: Plan, organize, monitor and complete tasks within established project plans.
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous assignments with competing schedules
What You Bring
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, or math. The key is for the candidate to have developed skills to work with numbers and quantitative concepts in an analytical manner.
- A California-licensed Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) with three years of audit experience required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills capable of maintaining positive relationships with clients and parties being audited.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint) with superior skills in Excel.
- Recycling, waste industry, or public agency experience, is desirable but not required.
- California driver’s license and ability to work in the United States.
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Master’s Degree in a Related Field, MBA, or J.D.
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California
- Prior work experience drafting legal documents (contracts, ordinances, regulations, etc.)
- Database Management and/or GIS Experience
What We Offer
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2022, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Associate Salary Range of $70,000 – $101,250, depending on qualifications of selected candidate
- Sr. Associate Salary Range of $95,000 – $135,000, depending on qualifications of selected candidate
- Discretionary Annual Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Earnings, performance based
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2023 contribution was 6%
- 15 Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year)
- 10 Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion)
- 5 Sick days per year
- At least two days of off-site staff retreats and social events each year
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of Kaiser plan.
- HF&H contributes $2,500 per employee or $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account
- Dental/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H at email@example.com today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process in its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be released at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.