Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Assistant Analyst [Contracts Management]
February 22, 2022
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, tightly knit, small company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling and solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include planning, performance reviews, competitive procurements, negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners and project managers, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
The Assistant Analyst will support our recycling and solid waste practice from our Irvine, California office. This position is presently not requiring in-office work (unless otherwise directed) but may be modified at any time at HF&H’s discretion. Employee will primarily work with our internal Project Managers and Analysts. Local travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
Initially, the “clients” served by this position will be HF&H’s partners and project managers. The work with these internal clients allows Assistant Analysts to develop the client service and project management skills necessary to be a successful consultant. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a senior consultant with direct external client relationships and increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities.
What You Will Do
The successful Assistant Analyst will perform tasks like:
- Conducting directed research on legislation and regulations impacting the recycling and solid waste industry in California
- Reviewing public education and outreach for recycling and organics programs offered in cities in California
- Monitoring city and waste hauler compliance with California recycling regulations
- Performing quality control reviews on reports and written work products
- Reviewing (large) documents and identifying/summarizing key information
- Researching emerging solid waste handling approaches and technologies
- Assisting in preparation of meeting documents
- Meeting with HF&H senior staff and representatives of cities and waste haulers to discuss compliance with city solid waste contract requirements
- Surveying local governments and service providers about industry trends
- Assisting in the preparation of written reports and client presentations
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous assignments with competing schedules
- Build a solid foundation of best practice skills for the Assistant Analyst to thrive in their consulting career
What You Bring
- Undergraduate Degree in Pre-Law, Public Policy, Environmental Policy, or Related Field
- 1+ Years of experience in a professional office environment
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, especially related to legal documents (Contracts, Ordinances, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Demonstrated experience in quantitative analysis (e.g. accounting, statistics, data science, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), etc.)
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2021, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Salary range for Assistant Analyst: $52,000 – $65,000
- Discretionary Annual Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Salary, performance based
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2021 contribution was 6%
- 15 Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year)
- 10 Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion)
- 5 Sick days per year
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our Kaiser health insurance plan.
- HF&H contributes up to $2,500 per employee or up to $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account
- Dental/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis.
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate. Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process at its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be released at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.