Get a free consultation to discuss your needs
Assistant Analyst (Contracts)
December 11, 2020
We invite applications for the position of: Assistant Analyst
Why Consider HF&H Consultants?
HF&H has a mission-driven, collaborative, small-company culture that values work-life balance. We provide recycling, organics, solid waste, water, and wastewater consulting services exclusively to public agencies. It is an exciting time to work in this industry. As California continues to lead the nation in environmental protection, it is our job to ensure local jurisdictions have the analytical and management support they need to fulfill their community’s vision of a sustainable future. We also strive to protect ratepayers (e.g., you and me) from unfounded increases in municipal utility rates.
Our services include jurisdictional action planning, performance reviews of municipal service providers (e.g., solid waste haulers), competitive solid waste service procurements (often the largest municipal contracts), negotiations, contract management, financial and compliance auditing, rate and fee studies, and litigation support. The success of our firm has been built on providing excellent client service and leadership to clients in particularly challenging situations.
About This Role
The successful candidate will work under the direction of partners and Project Managers, in a team atmosphere, successfully completing engagements for our municipal clients related to their management of environmental programs.
The Assistant Analyst will support our recycling, organics, and solid waste practice from our Walnut Creek, California office, with some remote work flexibility. Specifically, this position will focus on our “contract services” (e.g., contract negotiation, competitive procurement, contract management, etc.) and “diversion services” (e.g., zero waste/high diversion planning, program development, regulatory compliance, etc.) practice areas. At any given time, this position will be involved with between one and five active projects, frequently reporting to multiple Project Managers.
Initially, the “clients” served by this position will be HF&H’s partners and project managers. The work with these internal clients allows Assistant Analysts to develop the client service and project management skills necessary to be a successful consultant. Over time, this position offers significant advancement opportunity for a high-performing professional to grow into a senior consultant with direct external client relationships and increasingly independent assignments and responsibilities. At present time, we have discouraged travel to client sites, however, as COVID-19 restrictions are lifted, some local travel may be required, with additional limited overnight travel (within California).
What You Will Do:
Under the direction of Project Managers, the successful Assistant Analyst will perform tasks like:
- Performing quality control reviews on reports and written work products such as Requests for Proposals and Franchise Agreements for Recycling, Organics, and Solid Waste Services
- Analysis of proposals submitted to local governments for recycling, organics, and solid waste services
- Reviewing (large) documents and identifying/summarizing key information
- Working with client and third party personnel to obtain financial and operational data
- Fluctuation reviews and analyses (candidate must possess strong analytical and Excel skills)
- Research and analysis on legislation and regulations impacting the recycling, organics, and solid waste industry in California
- Assisting with the preparation of proposals
- Surveying local governments and service providers about industry trends
- Assisting in the preparation of written reports and client presentations
What You Will Gain
HF&H places a high value on investing in our team. One of our core values is that “we relate to each other positively, supporting our professional development and providing opportunity for personal rewards.” This position will benefit from:
- Exceptional training and frequent coaching from a “mentor” assigned to you from your first day
- On-project training from HF&H’s partners and a deep pool of senior consultants
- Annual development of a “personal development plan” and formal continuing education and project assignments geared towards developing your depth and breadth of expertise
- Rewarding and challenging work assignments that improve the efficiency, affordability, and effectiveness of public services
- Development of new technical skills for managing processes, projects, and resources
- Experience managing multiple simultaneous assignments with competing schedules
- Build a solid foundation of best practice skills for the Assistant to thrive in their consulting career
What You Bring
- An undergraduate Degree is suggested (preferred: Pre-Law, Public Policy, Environmental Policy, or Related Field). Specific, relevant experience in consulting or contracts for the solid waste industry may be substituted for education, on a case-by-case basis.
- 1+ Years of experience in a professional office environment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to organize thoughts logically and communicate them concisely
- Strong logic skills, as related to legal documents (Contracts, Ordinances, etc.)
- Exceptional attention to detail, especially related to consistency
- Inquisitiveness balanced with a sense of significance
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and competing schedules
- Proficiency with the use of Microsoft Office Suite; Excel skills beyond data entry
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to personal transportation
Bonus Points (highly desirable)
- Prior experience in the recycling and solid waste industry in California
What We Offer
HF&H offers a competitive total compensation package while emphasizing work/life balance for our employees (in 2021, Associates averaged less than 43 hours per week). This is a full-time, exempt position. Some highlights include:
- Discretionary Performance-Based Incentive Bonus: up to 20% of Annual Salary
- Profit Sharing: Minimum 3% contribution to a 401(k) profit-sharing plan; 2021 contribution was 6%
- 15 Vacation days per year (increases with tenure, maximum of 25 days per year)
- 10 Holidays per year (including one “floating” holiday to be used at employee’s discretion)
- 5 Sick days per year
- At least two days of off-site staff retreats and social events each year
- Health Insurance:
- HF&H contributes 95% of employee’s premium (and 67.5% of dependent premium) towards the premium of our health insurance plan
- HF&H contributes $2,500 per employee or $4,000 per family towards a Health Savings Account
- Dental/Vision/Group Term Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance
Are You Ready? Apply Today!
Submit your cover letter and resume to HF&H today! Please provide a valid email address and telephone number on your resume and/or cover letter with your salary expectation. Application materials will be screened on a continuous basis. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply early!
Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited into the interview process with HF&H. We place significant value on hiring the right people to work in our team and our interview process reflects that. The first phase of the interview process is a telephone interview. If successful, candidates will be scheduled for a half-day of interviews with our consulting team and the other half of the day will be spent performing assessments of the candidate’s quantitative and written communication skills. Candidates that successfully complete those interviews and assessments will be brought in for a final round of interviews with one or more of the firm’s Partners. Any resultant offer of employment may be conditioned on the results of professional and personal reference checks, which we will not conduct without prior approval of the candidate Depending on the number and quality of applicants, HF&H reserves the right to modify this process in its sole discretion.
The Fine Print
This is an at-will position and, as such, can be released at any time without notice and for any reason. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete performance assessments, reference checks, verification of academic performance, and any other due diligence HF&H deems appropriate prior to making an unconditional offer for employment. Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or assessment process should advise the hiring manager upon submittal of an application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. HF&H is an equal opportunity employer.